"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place." 2 Chron 7:14-15
I've heard many Christians say, "I’m done with church... I don’t need to go to church…My relationship is good with God...The church is not God's idea....I've been hurt by people at church".... I go to church when I need to... etc. Maybe you know someone like this. This message is not for those who attend church, but rather to those who need to reconsider going to church more frequently. My goal in this blog is to equip the saints to believe in church again, try church again and receive from God through church again.
I completely understand why a growing number of people are bailing on church. I get it, but I don't get it. I get it that many have been hurt in church by people in church and that's their reason for bailing. But this is a poor reason as people hurt people everywhere and you can't escape humanity, and more people will hurt others outside of church. So church is the safest place to fellowship with people. Let's be honest with ourselves as we all have hurt people and not given up on ourselves. Regardless of the reason, Satan is influences us to write off the church, if we agree were agreeing with the liar. It's a mistake and here's 21 reasons why?
- Jesus created the church.
- Jesus, His disciples encouraged weekly fellowship, teaching and corporate worship with other believers.
- If you want to get rid of the church, you also need to get rid of Jesus. You can’t have one without the other.
- Jesus started the church with imperfect people shows us God’s incredible grace and confidence in our ability to forgive and love one another.
- God chose to use imperfect people to showcase his grace locally. God chose me and others when He had other options. That's grace!
- Community is messy, all people sin, leaders even sin. But that does not keep you from going to work every day to get a paycheck.
- Jesus used his followers to spread his love in spite of themselves as they overcome obstacle after obstacle.
- The fact that Christ uses flawed people to accomplish his work on earth is actually a sign of his grace, not a sign of his absence.
- The church’s story is like the story of Israel, God’s redemption and love for His church and people.
- Church reminds us to rest one day of our hectic week.
- Church allows us to draw closer to God, receive God'y council, hear His teaching, worship Him and pray for others.
- We have numerous options every Sunday, but to obey God's commandment to attend church among His people shows we love Him.
- Disconnecting yourself from community is actually less faithful than connecting yourself to a flawed community.
- Some say today's church is not like the church in Acts... My response to them is are you willing to gather daily, awake before sunrise for prayer, pool all your possessions, don’t claim anything as your own, be willing to lose your job, your home, your family and even your life because of Jesus. If not, you have a poor case to not attend church.
- The early church met. Meetings always have a form of organizing and leading. Organized meetings accomplish more together than we can alone. God created us to work and work together. Some of the most amazing events and revivals occurred in churches.
- The only one who wants us to believe that we are better off alone is our enemy.
- Church saves the dredges of society, brings salvation to sinner, helps the helpless, feeds the hungry, loves the unlovable and even martyred for preaching the gospel throughout the world. What other organization can boast this claim?
- Our government, nation and people believe and support the good works and benefits the church brings to society.
- The church has birthed tens of thousands of ministers, missionaries, schools, universities, seminaries and ministers to all corners of our globe.
- Some churches are dwindling but some churches are thriving with God's presence, power and miracles.
- Jesus is not dead but alive and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.
I plead with you to reconsider church, advocate church, believe in your local church, agree with Jesus by testifying church is in fact part of His plan for man-kinds redemption. Some may need to repent, re-believe, re-trust, forgive, forget the past and engage with the healing power of God that is released when His people come together. After all, Pentecost came when 120 Christians came together in a prayer group.
I pray you were blessed, educated to reconsider church and draw others back to Jesus' church in groves. I'm praying, expecting, believing in a mighty revival out of the local church. What are you believing for?
Love you in Christ,
Pastor Terry Hilgen
Reign Christian Fellowship